Thursday, November 19, 2009

goodbye blue doggy

A few days ago we were talking about what we all wanted for Christmas. Kirby asked me and I told him that I wanted him to give me his blue doggy (the lovey that he's slept with since he was just months old) and for him to stop sucking his thumb. I had talked to him about him doing this when he turns 5 but I saw an opportunity to make it something he's giving me. And who wouldn't give their momma their most prized possession?

Imagine my surprise today when Kirby got up from his nap and walked strait in to my room where I was with Judah and told me he had a present for me and handed me his blue doggy. I said 'What are you doing, Kirby?' and his reply was 'You can have my doggy cause I'm bigger now.' Well, OK. So I put it up in my closet with the spare, came down and told Stan who then gave me a completely puzzled look. Be both were kinda like, ummm...let's go with it. So when Kirby came downstairs Stan asked him about it. Kirby told him, 'I'm big now so I don't need it.' We told him that if he doesn't sleep with blue doggy anymore he can't suck his thumb either and that if he can do that he will get a big boy surprise. He was excited and agreeable. For right now at least. We will see how it goes tonight. Stan and I are going to try to be strong despite tears, whining and begging that may come with bedtime. I really think Kirby can do it. After all he's a lot like me and I gave up sucking my thumb for a pair of shoes at 3

When we asked him what he wanted his big boy reward to be he told us he wanted and ipod. Really??? All I got was a pair of clogs! I think we talked him down to a small CD player for his room. But really, inflation is even effecting child bribery!

2 comments:

Jason and Kathleen said...

i wonder what songs he wants to download? how funny, an IPOD!

Jason and Kathleen said...

i wonder what songs he wants to download? how funny, an IPOD!