Tuesday, October 07, 2008

XG State Fair!

One of the keys to life overseas is to try to incorporate as many normal activities from living in the US. Many wise people have told us to keep as many traditions as we can for holidays, vacations, etc. For many people October means Halloween, but since we choose not to celebrate Halloween, October has always meant time for the North Carolina State Fair. I think of my 28 years I've missed no more than 5 years going to the fair. My family always made the trip to Raleigh and spent an entire day walking around looking at all the exhibits, riding rides and of course eating the most unhealthy food ever. There is another family here in XG from Mississippi that has a similar tradition. They came well prepared with funnel cake batter mix and full intentions of creating their own State Fair. They asked us to join and we gladly accepted. Don't be jealous of all our Fair Fun!

Food!
The table with sausage dogs and grilled chicken on a stick.

Corn on the cob.

Funnel cake, fried snickers and fried oreos...well what's left of them.

Kirby liked his fried snickers. (He complained of a tummy ache later...I had one too.)

Bennett's chocolate mouth indicates he liked his as well.


Games!
Kirby gets the ball in the basket...

...and wins a Nemo!

Bennett has a turn too.

Bobbing for apples

He got it!

Daddy got one too. (I did not participate. Being the Corhuskin' '01 Apple Bobbing Champion, I didn't want to show everyone up.)


Thanks to our friends for inviting us. We are hoping to make this an annual thing. Next year my goal is to make it bigger than the Fourth of July party!

5 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, that's great that you guys got so creative to create your own state fair. I think it's wonderful that you are incorporating your traditions into the childrens lives while you are living in China.
(That funnel cake looks yummy!)

Jason and Kathleen said...

I am so glad you commented about your apple bobbin' achievements. I guess it runs in the family.
I love the state fair idea. I do think it's great. Maybe you can start up a state fair business in your city.

The Parrish Family said...

I feel the same way!!! I am going to miss the State Fair. We are lucky because every month the bases here have some sort of festival so we get to enjoy some aspects of the fair once a month (at least during the really hot months)! The funnel cakes don't taste exactly the same but they're close!! I'm loving seeing what you are thinking up over there!!! I'm stealing ideas just so you know!! :)

Jessie said...

I bet your house reeked of fair funk, and I'm jealous. Even though we have a fair or carnival here every weekend, nothing compares to the NC state fair.

You and your bobbing for apples...too funny.

Leslie said...

FRIED SNICKERS?? Okay, get me to China, stat. :)

The boys look so cute! I love it that Stan got in on the apple bobbing action. And I had no idea you were an Apple Bobbing Champion!