Thursday, August 21, 2008

Update on the Boys

The boys have been growing and changing so much in the almost two months since we got to our new home. I haven't given many specifics so I thought I would try to do a little catch up. They haven't had any normal check ups or anything but I think I can say that without a doubt they are doing very well. We bought a scale and they are both 14 kg or 30.8 lbs. We knew Bennett had caught up to Kirby weight wise. Maybe one pound difference but with a kg scale it looks the same. Kirby actually feels lighter to me when I hold them because I think he holds on better--Benny is like dead weight--and is still a head taller so it's more dispersed.


Bennett is heading towards the Two's with full force. He did not want this picture taken. He wanted more oatmeal. I actually found bibs at the Wal Mart here that has long sleeves and looks like a shirt that just ties in the back. Since Bennett insists that he feeds himself even the most messy of meals--which I am very happy about--the new bib is great. He actually loves the food here and has only had minor tummy trouble. Bennett is talking up a storm. In his little boy language he can say almost anything (and repeat anything) he wants. He is even picking up some of the local language. He loves to play and do everything that Kirby does. He loves his big brother. Even when Kirby picks on him like big brothers do. The people here love Bennett and his chubby legs and face. Bennett is definitely not thinning out like Kirby started to do at this age. He is still a very happy little boy for the most part, but when he's upset he makes it known. I also think he has way more of a mischievous spirit than Kirby. I love to watch his little personality develop. Bennett doesn't sit still for long and could care less about watching movies or T.V. He is one big ball of energy.


Kirby has developed the best little personality. The Three's have definitely been more of a challenge than the Two's were for him. He wants to do what he wants to do so we have had to work very hard on teaching him obedience and he fights it all the way. Sometimes he says the funniest things and I just can't figure out where he got it from. He is also adjusting very well to our new home. He loves to play with the little kids that play a lot outside our building. He calls them his Ni Hao (hello in local language) friends. It's amazing to see how little children don't need words to play and have fun together. Play seems to be the universal language. Kirby has shown a lot of interest in reading and numbers so I'm hoping I can start some basic pre-school with him soon. I really wish I had brought some books with me but I'm sure I can find stuff online to help me. Kirby also loves to color. I am very thankful for the markers that only color on the special paper. My furniture is thankful too. Kirby has not been as adventurous as Bennett when it comes to the local food but he definitely has some favorites. He's also had a few milk product type things, no actual milk or cheese, but he's had some things made with milk and even mashed potatoes made with real butter and cream and has not shown any signs of a break out. I haven't gotten brave enough to try milk or cheese but maybe in a few months. This is great because even though local food has very little milk in it there are tons of things that we make at home that do. He asks to have cheese and ice cream all the time. Of course he really hasn't had either but I think he cans just tell they are good. Kirby has had one semi-serious injury since we have been here. He ran into the sharp corner of the refrigerator door head first. There was blood pouring out and we couldn't see the actual cut. After we got him cleaned up and had a good look we could see that there was a small little place that was hardly deep on his forehead. Within about 20 minutes there was a scab and it barely even bruised. If you look carefully in the picture you can see it. I thought we were about to get to see the hospital, but PTL that hasn't happened yet. I'm not naive enough to think that with my rough and tumble boys that won't happen at some point, I'm just hoping to have a little more language before it does.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Glad to hear that you and the boys are doing well over there. We will be keeping you in our prayers.

Jennifer said...

Could James' prophesy be right? Kirby will be allergy free?

I'm so glad to hear an update!

The Parrish Family said...

I'm glad to see that yall are adjusting. Isn't it funny how the kids seem to adjust quicker than we do? We went to dinner the other night and Lulu ate my entire Japanesse soup. (just so everyone knows...it's different than in the states).