Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Month in Review

Oh where, oh where have the Pittmans gone? I hope you haven't given up on us. What other mothers have writen about getting overwhelmed once they haven't blogged in a while is so true. I kept thinking I would do it the next day but I had so much to catch up on I just didn't think I would have time. Things have been crazy. Any down time--the little that I have--has been spent relaxing. That 30 minutes between getting the boys down for a nap and getting ready to go to work is the only ME time I have. But enough excuses. I will do my best to do a September sum up and then get back on track. Get ready for one long post...

The first few weeks were pretty uneventful that I can remember. I'm still training so I did that and we tried to spend our weekends doing fun family things. We were making the weekly grocery shopping a family event--I really don't like to do it so having everyone there makes it more of an outing and less of a chore. This was all until the Halloween decorations came out at the beginning of the month. Seriously, I think that's a bit early. (I've also seen some places with Christmas stuff out too but that is a topic for later) Anyway, our usual gocery store is Kroger...until they put out life size zombie looking Butlers and Mad Scientists. Kirby was frozen with fear. Literally frozen. He has never been so still in his life. He wouldn't even look up. Even once Stan picked him up he was clinging to daddy for his life. Kinda funny yet not really. This is the first year he's really been able to get 'scarey' and since we don't celebrate Halloween he wasn't familiar. Now if you ask him he will tell you the Scarey Man is at Kroger. Even trying to bribe him that he will drive the car--you know the little one on the shopping cart--will not get him anywhere close. Hopefully I will be able to convince him the Scarey Man is gone come November.

Sept. 17--Bennett has his 9 month check up.
Weight: 21 lbs. 1 oz. (60%)
Height: 29 1/2 inches (90%)
Head: 18 inches (60%)
He is looking good. Since Kirby had to go with us I tried to prepare Kirby to help Bennett feel better after his shots. Well forgetting the timing of them all I didn't realize that there would be no shots, just a finger prick (his hemaglobin is very good now)...so no problem. Then I find out they can go ahead and give both boys a flu shot. OK for Bennett but I feel slightly bad that I could not prepare Kirby. The good thing is he handles shots fairly well, a quick little fuss and then he get over it. Bennett did great too, other than he wanted to eat the band-aid off his finger.

Sept. 19--Trip to the doctor #2. This time both boys have an appointment with the Urologist (to any man reading this, it is a story sure to make you cringe so you may want to skip it). Both boys neede to have their circumcision checked out--this is common I have since found out. He checks out Bennett first--looked good he felt the 'problem' would correct itself as he grows. Kirby's turn--please remember he has already had a surprise shot this week. Kirby had what the doctor refered to as a skin bridge. Not a big deal but it would have to be taken care of because it was past the point of correcting on its own. That's fine. Our options were to do the slight procedure in the office or in the hospital. The doctor and I both wanted to attempt during an office visit first. And what luck--he had time to do it then since it was only going to take a few minutes. Surprise #2 for Kirby. I have to say it all went really well. Bennett sat over in the stroller sucking his thumb like he didn't even know anything out of the ordinary was going on. Kirby was not happy, as you can imagine, but allowed the Dr. to do the procedure with little fight. Once he was numbed up--the needle wasn't pleasant, he was screaming 'Bennett's turn' over and over--he felt nothing and was only squirming cause he could see what was going on. One little snip and two stiches later it was all done. Kirby walked around like a cowboy for a few days but he's all healed and will look like every other boy in the locker room now. :)

Bennett finally started crawling. It started out as the 'Army' type crawl--I have a video of him doing it and one of Kirby imitating him that I was having trouble uploading, I'll work on it. Bennett's getting much better and crawling more normal now and he's much quicker. We are back to keeping doors closed around the apartment. Let's just say having two that are mobile keeps me busy.

I also visited the eye doctor for the first time in about 7 years. She said my eyes are very healthy but I should probably have a more extensive exam done to determine my 'eye teaming' issues. Apparantly they don't play well together. Oh well that will have to wait for another time.

I think that's all of the major events in our month. We did have a couple of visits from Grommy and Poppy and a visit form Granny and Papa. Oh and both boys have had bad colds. While Granny and Papa were here our place was snot central. I really hope we didn't send our germs down to FL with them.

October is full of fun. It has always been my favorite month because the weather gets so nice. Add to it that our church has its Fall fastival this Saturday, the Fair is the next weekend and the Triathlon the next and we are going to be busy with some fun times. I'll do my best to keep up with posting. I may even take relevant pictures. For now here are some random ones.

Bennett liked his bath in the sink. He didn't quite fit--the reason I'd never done it before. And I look nice and worn out so please excuse that.


The boys like to play together each morning after breakfast. They distroy the room but it gives me about an hour to relax with coffee (not really) and get stuff done (more like it).


Kirby wearing Grommy's glasses.


I was wasing dishes and saw them actually playing with a toy together, this melts my heart.

3 comments:

The Biambys said...

It is good to finally hear from you.

Amy said...

Well it seems like you guys are doing really well. Thanks for the update on the boys.

Oh, good luck with your training. That is some hard work. I have been training to run a 5K, and I can't imagine trying to train for a triathalon. Props to you!

Lora said...

Whoo, Rachel! Look at you, you look great!!!

I had to actually google "skin bridge" out of curiousity. Ouch! Poor Kirbster, hope he heals up fast!

And your eyes don't team? Does that mean they don't track stuff at the same time? I've never noticed that either, but I bet you'd be superhot googlyeyed :)

And lastly, your boys are just as darling as ever. Yay for Bennett crawling and for Kirby being such a great big bro. I don't know how you do it with 2 and work and have a triathalon, I'm so proud of you...you rock!

Can't wait for the next update and some relevant pics (that was my fav part of your post, it made me giggle!).

Hugs!