Saturday, September 02, 2006

We are here!

Sorry I didn't post yesterday, we were generally just a lazy bunch. We seriously just jung out with family and ate. That is not a good thing since I have a doctor's visit on Wednesday. I really don't want to have gained too much weight.

We made it through Ernesto with little problem. By the time we made it to South Carolina we had almost no rain. Great timing by my intelligent husband. The funny thing is we were so worried about the storm once we made it through we thought it would be smooth sailing. Not so. We stopped for dinner after about 4 hours of driving--we were all starved. We enjoyed our McDonalds (something I have recently just agreed to eat, it still doesn't agree with me all the way) and loaded back into the car only to find that it wouldn't start. Nice. A girl in the parking lot gave us a jump start, but we were getting close to Empty on the gas gauge. So we decided to drive a bit and let the battery recharge, stop for gas an hopefully be on our way. We drove another hour, but the gas light was on and we had to stop. We get gas, and yes the car won't start. A nice man pulls over and gives us another jump and just as we get situated and he pulls out of the station, the car dies. Fortunately a really nice lady helps us for about thirty minutes as we attempt to get back on I 95. Everytime we would get caught at a stop sign or light the car would stop. She would pull back up to the front of the car and we would try again. It seriously stalled out about 10 or more times. Finally the light was at the right point, Stan unhooked the cables, jumped in the car and we took off. We drove the remaining two hours with Stan's dad and brother, Chris, on stand by in case we needed to get picked up on the side of the Interstate. We finally made it to The Pittman's house by 11 pm. Yesterday morning they took the battery to get checked--completely dead. A nice new battery was purchased and installed and the car is back to normal. Just so you know the life of a battery on a Toyota Camry is about 4 years. :) Are you sure you don't want to buy our car Lora, or anyone else? It has a nice new top of the line battery and everything. Unfortunately, Stan said I can not accept your original offer of $2000 since we still owe more than that on our loan and it is worth even more than what we owe. I still tried. :)

The worst part is that we didn't get to thank the nice lady (name unknown) who helped us in our time of need. So thank you lady in the Toyota Tacoma who was on her way to the birth of her first grandchild. I hope you made it on time!

2 comments:

Lora said...

What an awesome lady! Wow, that was totally a God-thing! Glad you guys made is safely (even with lots of drama). Maybe have your alternator checked? I hope its just a battery-thing. Make sure to keep water in this battery (unless its a sealed one, of course).

Yeah, I figured $2K was a *tad* on the low side, but keep me in mind :)

I hope the rest of your trip goes smoothly with no other crazy happenings!

Amy said...

That was really sweet of that lady, and I am sure one day you will get to pass the good fortune on to someone else.

I was having car trouble too, so I feel your pain. I hope you guys can get it fixed to come to the beach in a couple of weeks. We don't want you having all of that trouble getting to Ocean Isle. We are going to have soooo much fun. I am getting really excited, and I am so glad that you guys are coming.