
Now that Kirby is almost 1, he is really acting the part. This is what I found yesterday when I came to get him after play time. I've started him on independant semi-supervised play time. I know this may sound crazy to some mothers out there. But it is really wonderful for both of us. He is in his room where he has the freedom to play with whatever strikes his fancy, can't get into anything harmful or that he isn't allowed to, and I can get things done while still being able to keep an eye on him. Of course I didn't count on his new game of scatter the q-tips. Oh well, easliy cleaned up and seemingly entertaining for quite a while.Of course one draw back is that I had to 'cage' my child in. He won't stay in his room without a boundry and I didn't want to close the door--I wouldn't be able to supervise at all. So we bought a gate. The first day he hated it, but yesterday he didn't even notice. I was able to take him right from the lunch table to his room. I finished up the lunch dishes and took a quick shower, all while he played and had a great time.
I actually had to coax Kirby to the gate so I could get a picture of him standing there--blue doggy works wonders for many things. I guess I only felt guilty because we used to have to use a similar gate to keep our dog Bo in the kitchen when I was in middle school. This is great to keep Kirby out of the kitchen as well--too many tempting and not safe things there.
Here is a picture of Kirby's new bed. Some friends had this bed and gave it to us. We gave our old couch that used to be in there to some newly weds that didn't have any furniture--it helped us more to get rid of it than it helped them to get it I think. Anyway, we wanted to get Kirby's room more ready for new baby to come now so Kirby can get used to the changes now. Of course he's too little for this bed now, we won't start him in it until later in the Fall, closer to the new baby's arrival. I'll post another picture once everything--a new play area and such--is completely set up.
5 comments:
I cannot believe Kirby is almost one. It seems like yesterday we were all on pins and needles waiting to hear from you while you were at the hospital. I still remember seeing him at my baby shower and thinking he was the cutest thing. Look at him now, already a big brother!
And Rachel, I don't think you're nuts at all for the un-supervised playtime thing. I think it's wonderful to help babies/toddlers learn some independence. I'll definitely be doing the same thing. I emulate you in so many ways! I am so glad I have you to look up to and ask questions of.
Whoops! I meant to say "semi-supervised." I know you wouldn't feel comfortable leaving him TOTALLY alone - especially after seeing what he can do with a box of cotton swabs!
Looks like Kirby had a blast with the Qtips!
Rachel, I love that you are the Senior Mommies Fearless Leader! We all look to you for advice and examples. Good thing we have a great role model (holy crap, if I'd have been first, you'd all be in trouble!).
Hey Rach- Sorry I have been so out of the loop, I just found out your big news a few days ago through the grapevine. CONGRATS! I know how much you wanted another baby. Kirby is going to be such a great big brother!
Congrats to the whole family!
Happy Birthday Kirby! It's hard to believe a year ago today (May 17th) you were born. Your Auntie Amy loves you very, very much!
Post a Comment