Friday, October 31, 2008

Conversations of the Week

As I stated before, Kirby is really starting to pray like a big boy. Sometimes it's funny to us what he asks for, but it just reminds me that we are to have faith like a child. I love that he is asking God to help in the small things, the things that are important to him. One day last week the power was out for the whole day. Now unfortunately his prayer at dinner gives away something that I'm not proud of. It went like this...

Dear God, Thank you for Daddy and Mommy and Bennett. Thank you for this food. Thank you for God. Please fix the TV. Amen.

Well that isn't word for word but you get they gist. So unfortunately you also see that maybe the child has been watching too much TV. I can say that several times since then he has remembered to thank God for fixing the TV. Now maybe I need to pray that I don't give in and let him watch so much anymore.


The other day I was heating up dinner (I went to a local place to get some of the best roasted meat you have ever tasted) and Kirby was watching me. We had this conversation.

Kirby: Mommy, what are you doing?
Me: I'm just heating up dinner.
Kirby: (With much desperation in his voice) No mommy don't!
Me: (With much confusion in my voice) What's wrong?
Kirby: (Desperation continues) No mommy, don't eat it up! Please save some for us!
Me: No Kirby, I'm just going to HEAT it up, not eat it up. Don't worry, I can't finish dinner by myself.
Kirby: Oh, OK.

This isn't funny but I thought it was so sweet. Bennett's vocabulary is getting bigger and bigger each day. Sometimes he just mumbles things that make no sense or speaks in his language that we have come to understand, but ever so often he will say something so clearly that I think it's Kirby. This happened the other day when we were all in the office.

I'm working on the computer and the boys are sitting behind me with Stan on the couch--I sneeze...
Bennett: Bless you mommy.
Me: Thank you Kirby.
Stan: Uh, that was Bennett.
Me: Really! (as I spin around and have a complete look of shock on my face)

Bennett just smiled at me. I could eat him with a spoon.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

love love those stories! so..now that we have changed time ...what is our difference?

Leslie said...

Poor Kirby -- freaking out because he thought Mommy was going to eat it all before he had a chance to get a bite. I love his little prayers!