Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Kirby's first visit to the ER...

That's right, we made a visit to the ER. Call me an over reactive mother--Stan did--or call me cautious, you be the judge. Kirby was begining to be a little under the weather starting Thursday. By Friday night he had a little hacking cough that kept him awake--which means we were awake as well. Grommy was here so during the day she was here to help entertain him and keep his mind off feeling bad. Neither nap went well on Saturday and again he had a rough night. On Sunday I got up to go to church--I had to work in the nursery and teach--so Stan stayed home with Kirby. When I got home and woke Kirby up for lunch he was having trouble breathing. He was breathing hard and it was pretty labored for him. Stan said it had been that way in the morning as well. I sent Stan to buy a new humidifier (our other one broke since we last used it) and some cough syrup to see it that would help during Kirby's afternoon nap. It went better but he was still having trouble breathing.

I called the after hours nurse and she said someone needed to see him--so, we went straight to the ER. Other than the breathing they told us there was nothing wrong, he was just starting to get a respiratory infection. They gave him a breathing treatment and sent us home with instructions to follow up with his regular doctor. We did that and the doctor said he looked good but could hear some wheezing and that most likely it would be worse tonight--it's always worse at night. He prescribed an inhaler and said to call back in a couple of days if there was no improvement. So it seems that Kirby has inheirited my wonderful tendency to have every sneeze, sniffle and cold turn into a respiratory flare up. He hasn't been diagnosed with asthma, but he is at the age when I started having problems that eventually turned into asthma. The doctor told me that there is at least a 50% or greater chance that he will have the same type asthma (allergy, cold and sports induced) that I had as a child. At least they are able to start treating it now and hopefully we can keep it under control. I'm just praying he never has to go through some of the things I did.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh my goodness! My heart stopped when I saw your post. Poor Kirby! No, I don't think you overreacted at all! I would have done the same exact thing.

Lora said...

I think its VERY good (totally NOT overreacting) that you took him when you did. Poor Kirby, how scary for you guys! Hope he's feeling better and I'm warning you now: I will be devouring Kirby at the beach as well!

Anonymous said...

O.K. Rachel... I am going to have to give you my scoop on this. You know that Nick was sick his entire baby life with asthma... never slept... we found out that the humidifier that everyone recommends was breeding mold... Yes, we cleaned it but his room was so moist that it actually made more problems.. so keep a look out... Now the best thing we found that helped him was a RX Guafennisan now it is over the counter Mucinex.It breaks up to mucus and helps clear the lungs. Delsym cough syrup was the best we ever found for the asthma cough. Get some Euculyptas oil & pepermint oil and put it in a warmer you know like potpourri and put in his room at bedtime.. The cool from the humidifier is good just be careful it doesn't get his room too wet. I will tell you more when I see you. Love you and hope Kirbster feels better soon, he is in my prayers. And NO you were not being too careful as asthma is nothing to play with ... especially with a little one.
Angie

Amy said...

Rachael, I definately do NOT think that you overreacted to the situation at all. If you had asthma, then you know what it is like. And I am sure that you know it is a genetic disorder, too.
Brendon was diagnosed with asthma around Kirby's age and by the time he was around 4 he grew out of it. The breathing treatments were definately difficult with a young child. Just curious, since you know my background in medicine, did they put him on Albuterol or a corticosteroid or both. FYI, both of those medicines may make Kirby very hyperactive, so be aware. They could also keep him awake at night.