Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A very busy weekend...

Oh yes it was. We had a lot planned and so did Kirby. The first three pictures below are Friday afternoon and evening. Kirby was having a great time, playing and carrying on. He went to bed as usual at 8:00 (Stan and I watched Hotel Rwanda--I cried the whole time). Does he look sick to you? Not to us either. Come 10:00, the coughing started. Not just regular coughing, croup. Seriously when the books says it sounds like a bark they weren't kidding. So we call the after hours pediatrician and they told us he needed 20 minutes in a steamy bathroom and then 5 minutes in the cold night air. So that was what we did--every hour and a half because he would wake up coughing again. Then first thing Saturday morning we are off to the Pediatrician's office, I'm so glad they have Saturday morning hours for sick children. Of course there was nothing she could do for him. Especially when he woke up at normal time smiling and laughing and was the same for the doctor(the fourth picture shows him playing before we left for the doctor). He didn't cough once the whole time we were there. We all decided Kirby doesn't understand yet that when you play sick you are supposed to do it all night Sunday night and Monday morning to miss school. We have a few years to work on that one.

We took Kirby home and decided that he was fine--never even had a fever, was only coughing a little bit and it was more normal--so we would continue the day as planned. Our Sunday school class was going to see 'The End of the Spear'. It was so good--again I cried the whole time. It was such a great story and really hit home for us. I recommend it to everyone. While we were out we bought a cute froggy humidifier for Kirby's room--I thought since it was cute it had to be more effective. When we got home, just in time to get kirby ready for bed with his new humidifier with some peppermint oil mixed in the water, we come to see that his Aunties had him all dressed up. It's nice that we have such dependable child care, especially since he was slightly under the weather, but I can always count on coming home to something interesting when Kathleen and Tara are in charge. They actually did a great job, including making sure Kirby was snot free thanks to the suctioning bulb. Now that's a good babysitter. And I can't forget to include their roommate Courtney was there to help out as well. They stayed and we played Skip Bo for a bit.

Then on Sunday since Kirby was still sick he couldn't go to the nursery at church--thankfully they have pretty strict rules about not allowing sick babies. I still had to go since I was taking my 7th grade girls Sunday School class to see Narnia--yes that was too many movies for one weekend, but all good ones--I did not cry this time. Stan was home all day to entertain the not so sick but not so well Kirby.

So here is a summary of our weekend: Movie. Up all night with croup. Doctor. Movie. Crazy Aunties. Up all night to check out every little cough. Movie. Again listening for coughing all night. The end. Wow, if I had known I could write so short I would have never written all the rest. Oh well, you've already read it now. ;)

2 comments:

M said...

Poor Kirby! I am so glad he is feeling better so you all can get some rest. We use a humidifier too, only to prevent Wade from incurring injuries at night. I punch really, really hard when he snores! The humidifier has cleared that little problem right up.

And I will add the Sat. am sick baby hours to the list of must haves for the doctor we pick for West. Sounds pretty important.

Hope he is still feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had an interesting weekend! Lots of movies!

Kisses and a big Get Well Soon hug to Mr Kirby!