Friday, January 20, 2006

Babywise saved me

I really believe it did. After reading Leslie's comments about wishing she had known about it from the beginning I started to feel guilty. I had several friends recommend it so I read the book before Kirby was born and decided it was for me. However, I'm always hesitant to share with people unless they ask. As Leslie stated, it's 'controversial', to say the least. But now after Leslie saying what she did, I decided I should let others know about the thing that got me through the early months without going insane. Plus this is my blog and I can write whatever I want, so if you disagree, get your own blog.

Babywise is what is known as Parent Directed Feeding or PDF. There are many versions of this and I actually used a Christian version called 'Along the Infant Way' and that is the first book of a series (it's called 'Let The Children Come...') that takes you all the way through the teen years. (PRAISE THE LORD!) I'm now using 'Along the Toddler Way' which gets the child to the point where they are basically eating three meals a day (nursing or bottle with food supplement) and one more nursing time at bedtime. They are taking two 1 1/2 to 2 hour naps (Kirby will sometimes go 2 1/2 hours) and sleeping 12 hours at night. This is adequate nourishment and sleep for a 6 month old and this schedule will take them until around 18 months I think. Each child is deferent so timing may not be the same, so the beauty of Babywise is you can work it to fit your child and family needs. This book also helps to know key things as far as training to behave at the dinner table and other discipline needs and helps you know when you can start teaching you child Sign Language, among many other helpful things.

The controversial part comes from in the beginning when you are 'training' your child to fall asleep on their own by letting them cry for brief periods of time. Of course that is basically the same thing Ferberizing (I'm not sure if that is spelled right) does and that is a widely accepted method. I also read that there are concerns because some statistics show low weight gain and other developmental issues. From my experience this is not true. The other families I know using Babywise have very healthy children and Kirby has always been in the high ranges as far as growth (he doubled his birth weight by 4 months). If you don't like schedules this is definitely not for you. Of course I have known a family that used the principles of this without feeling so tied to the clock. Parent Directed Feeding was the only way I made it without losing my mind and I feel the reason Kirby is so well adjusted now. I love how it helps you integrate your child to be part of your family rather than the center of it. I think this will be particularly helpful with the second child so that neither child will feel neglected.

OK that's about it. Anybody who reads this and has questions feel free to ask.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, "particularly useful with the second child." Is there an announcement you would like to share with us all?? Hmmm?? I'm ready to add an "s" to your title, "The Pittmans' Little Angel(s)"!

On topic, everyone I know that has a baby right now is using Baby Wise. And every single one is a happy baby with a happy mommy. I'm sold.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you shared this, Rachel! I need all the advice I can get. I can't wait to see what things will be useful for me as a parent and what things will work best for Lily. I'v heard good things about the Babywise books, and you and Leslie both seem to be ringing endorsements!

I also wanted to comment on the same thing Eliza did...is Kirby gonna be a big brother anytime soon?!

Leslie said...

Hallelujah for Babywise! And I love what you said to others about "getting their own blog." Yeah. So there!

Leslie said...

Can I also point out that letting your child "cry it out" is far different from neglecting them and letting them scream it out? I don't know any mother who would just let their child holler on and on and on. With Babywise, you learn to distinguish between the different types of cries your child makes, so you know when he/she is crying because of pain versus when he/she is crying simply because of fatigue.

Leslie said...

Well, that was wrong. I'm sorry, Rachel! I didn't mean to hijack your blog.

Rachel said...

Tulipgirl, I appreciate your concern for the misleading of Bliblical principles in 'Along the Infant Way'. However, while I highly recomend the basic priciples of the PDF method which is found in Babywise and 'Along the Infant Way' I too have found it to be a principle created by man. The only true Biblical teaching on parenting is the Bible. While the Children's Pastor and his wife at our church highly recomend the 'Let the Children Come...' series we are constantly reminded that the Bible should be our first and foremost authority on everything, including raising children.

Thanks for your concern. Also, I'm not quite sure if I know you, do I?

Rachel said...

Leslie you didn't hijack my blog. I'm glad you added that part about crying it out. There is a huge difference which is where people get confused with PDF parents cause we don't neglect our children but in actuality are doing what's best for them. At this point I know when Kirby needs me or has just had his sleep disturbed and needs to resettle. Did I mention that Kirby started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks and was consistantly doing so by 8.

Anonymous said...

Rachel, we all support you 100%. You are doing such a magnificent job raising Kirby. With great parents like you and Stan teaching him, he will just know what is right.